August 2, 2021
Position Title: Materials Specialist
Reports to: Site Leader
Location: Linden, NJ
FLSA exemption status: Non-exempt
Please send resume to email@example.com
Under the direction of the Operations Manager and/or the Site Leader, a Materials Specialist performs
the day-to-day operations of the Aries Linden Biosolids Gasification Facility in Linden, NJ including receiving
and unloading of incoming product and support materials, processing and loading of outgoing product,
and sampling and sample management of such materials as required by written policy and procedure.
The position requires monitoring the plant performance by managing individual equipment and systems
within the operating areas, monitoring and managing outside safety systems, sampling of operating
systems and in-process products, and general operations activities associated with site materials
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
· Ensuring the plant is operating within its parameters while complying with strict HSE rules and
regulations as well as company policies and procedures.
· Responsible and accountable for individually following environmental, health and safety rules and
regulations; contributes to ensuring the safety of the team.
· Under the direction of the Site Leader and/or Board Operator employee will be required to
perform the duties necessary to ensure the following are completed:
o All tasks and documentation for the assigned work
o Non-routine work tasks assigned by operations manager.
· Communicates plant concerns and proposes corrective/contingency plans to site leader and/or
· Maintains any necessary logbooks in a clear, concise, complete, and legible manner.
· Assists in training new or advancing operators in day-to-day job functions and general operations
· Conducts sampling and analysis of incoming and outgoing product, by-products and
intermediates for quality control/treatment requirements.
· Manages sample collection and storage for incoming and outgoing products per written policy
· Performs tasks, including operation of equipment and monitoring/management of individual
rotating equipment within job duties.
· Prepares work requests to notify others of potentially unsafe, inefficient, environmentally
unfriendly, or inoperable equipment.
· Carry out first line operations maintenance duties when required in order to keep the plant
· Assist in maintenance activities as needed including inspection rounds and readings,
implementing safe work procedures, and ensuring equipment isolation for maintenance.
· Minimum high school diploma or GED. Process Plant Technology Degree preferred.
· 2+ years plant operating experience
· 1+ years in solids handling and solids processing or related industries (e.g., paper & pulp,
gasification, power, wastewater, etc.)
· Prior experience in process plant operations highly desirable
· Prior experience with mobile equipment (forklift, aerial lift, telehandler, etc.) highly desirable
· Prior experience loading and unloading a variety of bulk trucks highly desirable
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Good written and verbal communication skills
· Basic computer skills including Word and Excel
· Willingness and ability to take direction and give input to site leader and board operator
· Team oriented (e.g. ability to contribute as a team member through a positive “can-do” attitude).
· Versatility and willingness to perform multiple tasks across a variety of skill sets, as needed,
within position detail.
· Some knowledge of wastewater, chemical or petrochemical plant operations including basic
chemistry principles, and familiarity with typical plant operations and safety documentation (e.g.
Procedures, Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams, Material Safety Data)
· A background in troubleshooting of process unit operations
· Basic competency in Distributed Control Systems (DCS) operation preferred.
· Experience with operation of plant equipment (e.g. process pumps, motors, belt drives,
gearboxes, valves and compressors).
· Operation of mobile equipment (forklift and loader).
Working Conditions and Requirements
· Direct exposure to heat, cold, humidity and outdoor weather conditions.
· Rotating shift work and call out as needed.
· Regularly ascends/descends a ladder or other elevated surfaces
· Frequently moves/lifts objects weighing up to 50 pounds across work area
· Frequently lifts objects weighing up to 50 pounds to a height of 3-4feet and load into or off of
· Regularly communicates, detects, converses and must be able to convey, express, and exchange
· Regularly stands and walks but must be capable of maintaining a stationary position up to 50% of
· Frequently needs to be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
· Required to use a respirator, safety harness, and other personal protective equipment.
· Regular exposure to heavy industrial equipment.
· Willingness to work overtime as required.
· Occasional operation of mobile equipment (forklift, loader, etc.)
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. The contents of this description are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, skills required of personnel so classified.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from us!
From the Archives
Interested in previous editions of the Aries Clean Energy Newsletter? Explore past newsletters in our archives.Explore